Natural sleep aids, do they really work better?
by Floris Biesemans on Feb 08, 2023
Natural sleep aids or sleeping pills?
Sleeping pills, on the other hand, are usually synthetic drugs that can be prescribed by doctors to solve sleep problems. They work by affecting specific chemical processes in the body and regulating the sleep-wake cycle. Sleeping pills can have side effects, including nausea, fatigue, headaches and movement disorders. In addition, some sleeping pills can be addictive and pose a high risk of dependence.
The cost of natural sleep aids varies depending on the product and the manufacturer's retail price. In general, natural sleep aids are cheaper than synthetic sleeping pills, which usually must be prescribed by a physician.
Natural sleep aids are accessible over-the-counter, unlike many sleeping drugs, thus a prescription from a doctor is not required to purchase them.
Although this isn't always true, natural sleep aids, which are frequently less expensive, typically have fewer adverse effects than sleeping drugs. In order to choose the right sleep aid for you, it is best to take into account your unique circumstances and requirements.
What herbal sedatives are available?
People can utilize a variety of natural sleep aids to enhance the quality of their sleep. Here are a few instances:
- Chamomile: This plant is believed to promote better sleep while easing stress and anxiety.
- 5-HTP: A necessary amino acid for the body's production of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that controls mood and sleep.
- Melatonin: The body naturally produces this hormone, which aids in regulating the sleep-wake cycle.
- Lavender: A fragrant shrub that helps people unwind and sleep.
- Magnesium: This mineral plays a key role in controlling a number of bodily processes, including the sleep-wake cycle.
- Valerian root: A plant that has long been used as a sleep aid and is thought to boost the body's natural synthesis of GABA, which is known to encourage sleep.
Which natural sleep aid works best?
There is no single natural sleep aid that can be considered the best because it depends on several factors, such as a person's specific sleep problems and their personal preference and tolerance for different substances. Some people find melatonin effective, while others respond better to herbs such as valerian root or chamomile. Other people find magnesium or 5-HTP more helpful.
Where can I buy natural sleep aids?
Natural sleep aids can be purchased from a variety of sales channels, including:
- Drugstores: Many large chains, such as Kruidvat and Holland & Barret, sell natural sleep aids among other health and wellness products.
- Vitamin stores: Specialty stores that focus on vitamins, minerals and supplements also sell natural sleep aids.
- Online sales channels: Websites such as Amazon and Bol.com offer a wide selection of natural sleep aids, both from well-known brands and new, emerging ones.
- GIMMY: The easiest option, we ship our gummies the same day and guarantee long-term, sustainably improved sleep quality with our Deep Sleep gummies.
Do you have sleep problems? Read our blog - sleep problems, what is it and what can I do about it - now.